- 2008 – a technical, granite-filled ride/hike in Exeter, New Hampshire;
- 2009 – a relatively casual, although long, ride through Willowdale, which included the group breaking into pieces more than once and Gary Cavanaugh bellowing on the descents;
- 2010 – a tougher, longer, crash-filled ride through Willowdale, with more shattering of the pelaton and a general sense afterwards that the stage needed revamping;
- 2011 – Danno’s Death March through Willowdale, followed by a time trial (the “white arrow” trail in reverse and the slalom course to finish)
So we’ve seen this stage develop more than any other and this year we’re moving away from Willowdale to a more hilly, longer, slightly more technical area. As in previous years, we’ll be assembling a Star Wars fleet of bikes for the out-of-town riders, although we’ve got some better bikes this year, insha’allah. We will also be racing without Tom McParland,* who took 3rd place overall in 2010 in large part due his mountain biking skills. In the 2011 time trial, Tom finished 4th.
And maybe the best part of the stage (which will include a 7-8 mile ride and a short, steep time trial) will be lunch after at Red Hook Brewery.
* don’t worry, he’ll be there Thursday night with The Knot