Earlier this week, maybe Monday, I happened to catch the start of the Wigan-Manchester United match while eating lunch (for Lapham – Wigan are the Montreal Expos of the English Premier League, so bad you forget they exist until they’re up against your team; Manchester United are the Yankees) and realized one of the subtle, but ever-present, essential, and most-pleasing, aspects of soccer, especially Premier League, but almost always true, even for non-English speaking matches: the color commentator is Groundskeeper Willie. Just like college hoops has that distinct student-body din and the World Cup had the vuvuzelas and baseball has the calm pace and loudness of a good nap, soccer announcers always include a nearly unintelligible and permanently cranky Scottish guy who says things are either English words that make no sense together or not English words at all. Why is that a positive? Because no matter what is happening in the pitch, part of your brain is hearing and seeing Groundskeeper Willie, which has to make you laugh. You would happily watch a Seahawks-Cardinals or a Hornets-Trail Blazers game if Homer Simpson was doing color commentary….and soccer has that level of subtle absurdity with every televised match.
- ELLT 2018: Scoring eastlurayliars.wordpress.com/2018/07/14/ell… https://t.co/zvtqGrYxlC 1 hour ago
- ELLT 2018: Prologue Stage One Week from Today eastlurayliars.wordpress.com/2018/07/19/ell… https://t.co/7oGuD65IxU 22 hours ago
- ELLT 2018: Better Know a Domestique,@2 eastlurayliars.wordpress.com/2018/07/19/ell… https://t.co/Ck0AD6a5my 1 day ago
- Amb Jon Huntsman needs to resign, return to Washington, and publicly state the president’s lack of judgment in even… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Hard to imagine a better target for Trump - fancy-pants elitist diplomat, Obama appointee, critical of Trump and Pu… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago